Interesting People mailing list archives

a few queries in this forwarded message might be of interest

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1993 09:06:11 -0500

Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1993 13:18:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Daniel H. Forbush" <DFORBUSH () ccmail sunysb edu>
Subject: [RUSH] PN 105: Hantaan Virus/More on Tsunamis/Optical Fiber
To: PROFNET: ;

                       Stony Brook, NY 11794-0605

                                            Dan Forbush
                                            Associate VP/ProfNet Sysop
                                            University Affairs
                                            516-632-6308
                                            07-Jun-1993 12:07pm EDT
FROM:  DFORBUSH
TO:    ProfNet Distribution                 ( _PROFNET () MAIL CC SUNYSB EDU )

105TH PROFNET DISTRIBUTION
June 7, 1993

MEDIA QUERIES----------------------

    Hantaan Virus
    Optical Fiber
    TB and Healthcare Workers
    Technology Stories
    More on Tsunamis

[RUSH] HANTAAN VIRUS:
I am a reporter for Science Magazine. I'm writing a short news article
about Hantaan virus, the suspected culprit in the Arizona-New Mexico deaths.
Most of my sources on this are unavailable. Might ProfNet have other
suggestions?

My deadline, alas, is this evening--Monday, June 7. If any PIO's out
there have hanta virus experts to suggestion, I'd appreciate a call
ASAP to 202/326-6594 or a fax to 202/371-9227. Thanks for your help.

Traci Watson

OPTICAL FIBER:
Eden Laiken, on the national desk at Newsday, needs experts on optical
fiber who can: 1) describe the growth in miles of fiber laid thus far;
the rate at which cable is now being laid and is likely to be laid as the
"information superhighway" is built and other such ventures are taken;
3) the structure of optical fiber. This is chiefly for illustrations that will
accompany a major story that probably will run in the paper's Discovery
section. She needs leads no later than this Friday. Contact her in any of
the following ways: by phone at home before 4 p.m. at 516/822-3357;
by phone at the office after 4 p.m. at 516/843-2775; by fax at home
at 516/822-5323; by fax at the office at 516/843-2873.

TB AND HEALTHCARE WORKERS:
Ames Alexander of the Asbury Park Press (New Jersey) is looking at the
problem of TB in hospitals--dimension of the problem, preventive measures,
testing of healthcare workers, etc. Also interested in healthcare
workers who may have been exposed to TB. Needs leads by Wednesday or
Thursday. Call at 908/922-6000 ext. 4353 or fax to 908/922-4818.

TECHNOLOGY STORIES:
    My name is Jim Horne and I host and produce "Technovation", a
syndicated Public Radio show on science and technology.  Please let me
know of anything new and/or different that you're up to in research, new
inventions or products or... whatever.
Phone-800-323-9262
Fax-518-432-0991
Address: 318 Central Ave
         Albany, NY, 12206

MORE ON TSUNAMIS:
I'm getting some fax replies on this query that show promise...

Was wondering if you can send a follow-up query with a little tighter focus
as follows.

I'd like to focus on the following specific areas:
       1.  Tsunami threat to the coasts of California, Oregon, Washington,
               British Columbia, Alaska, and Hawaii.
       2.  Tsunami warning systems as they exist today and plans for the
               future.

I can reached as follows--preferred reply modes are E-Mail (Internet or
CompuServe) and fax:
       Michael J. Mooney
       140-10 Franklin Avenue (B44)
       Flushing, New York 11355-2620
       CompuServe: 70372,2454
       Internet: >INTERNET:70372.2454@@compuserve.com
       FAX: - (718) 886-0253 (no voice call pls)

Thanks.

Mike Mooney

TALLIES---------------------------

Please let us know when you've responded to a media query. Send brief note
to <ProfNet () ccmail sunysb edu>. (Notification is not necessary on responses
to queries from ProfNet PIOs.)

DISTRIBUTION/QUERY                              RESPONSES

PN 104/ CHINESE GANGS
PN 104/ ADMIRAL HOPPER
PN 104/ DETERGENT DEVELOPMENT
PN 104/ PRISON HEALTH CARE
PN 104/ GRAPHICAL USER INTERFACE
PN 104/ RUMORS, GOSSIP, HEARSAY
PN 103/ SIBLINGS AND SHARING                         6
PN 103/ "FAT TAX"                                    3
PN 103/ FOREIGN NATIONALS AND TEACHING               2
PN 103/ AGGRESSIVE DRIVERS                           2
PN 103/ BRAIN INJURIES                               1
PN 103/ CHINA'S OIL INDUSTRY                         2
PN 102/ TEACHERS AND STUDENTS                        2
PN 102/ MT. PINATUBO                                 3
PN 102/ INDIAN RELIGIOUS OBJECTS                     1
PN 102/ COMPUTER ISSUES                              2
PN 102/ SHORTWAVE RADIOS                             1
PN 102/ TSUNAMI RESEARCH                             4