Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Negotiating discount wit

From: Nina Fedoroff <fedoroff () mail1 ciwemb edu>
Date: 7 Jun 1993 07:41:07 +0000

 Reply to:     RE>Negotiating discount with I
Dear Josh,

It is not the case that ISI has heard from noone.  We haven't heard from them.
I talked to Vin Calahar twice and in our last converstation, asked him to give
me a rough estimate of what $100,000 would buy us.  By reservations about ISI
are that the library subscription rates are quite high for the electronic
versions, which are generally limited to small LANs.  CC on diskette is a pain
to distribute.  Noone has indicated that SCI is a must, but we've had some
requests for CC.  The best solution might be some library subscriptions to the
print products.

Meanwhile, we've decided to support some STN centers, since a) a good deal of
money, equipment and training have already gone into setting them up, b) they
provide access to something like a 150 databases, including CA, BA, Medline,
physics and math citation databases, as well as a large variety of other kinds
of databases, including chemical structures, crystallography, etc.; 3) CAS is
offering 80-85% discounts on search fees for some of the databases, including
its own and will work to increase the discounting, 4) other moneys are going
into the development of these centers, including money from the German
government, 5) STN has been training people in search strategy and these
individuals will, in turn, do training in situ, and 6) the STN centers can be
contacted by local scientists by any means available, including telephone and
snail-mail, to have searches done.