Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: ?End of Internet as we know it

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1993 15:14:30 -0500

Posted-Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1993 14:30:35 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1993 14:30:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Vigdor Schreibman - FINS <fins () access digex net>
Subject: Re: ?End of Internet as we know it
To: John Curran <jcurran () nic near net>
Cc: Vigdor Schreibman - FINS <fins () access digex net>, com-priv () psi com

<<<<<<I have removed a long conversation but wanted to bring to  your
attention the following statement . ... DJF >>>>>

 New models are being created to deal with contemporary realities, by the
research and education mission cannot survive if it does not remain
liberated from profit maximizing pressures.  The sale of information by
libraries, and the sale of network connectivity by educators, could be a
great marketing tool for private industry.  But converting our libraries
and colleges into sales outlets for the telco-computer-information giants,
is not my idea of a viable future for the NREN/Internet.  Others who have
been experimenting with these ideas have come to similar conclusions.
[Berry, K. Wayne's World: OCLC Confronts the Future, in LIBRARY JOURNAL
Vol 118, No. 9, May 15, 1993, at 28].

Vigdor