Interesting People mailing list archives

fyi

From: Paul Vixie <paul () vix com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 93 02:12:04 -0700

...  I helped set up axposf.pa.dec.com before I left DECWRL, and I know that
the U. S. State Department demanded that it be shut down since there were no
access controls to prevent foreign nationals (even those we are not friendly
with right now, e.g., Iraq) from telnetting in and getting access.  Since the
DEC Alpha machines fit the legal description of "supercomputer", this access
amounts to "exporting munitions" even though the hardware doesn't move and the
crypt(3) sources aren't online.  Anyway the service is down right now and the
relevant folks at DECWRL and DECNSL are working hard to get it back up again
but meanwhile there are no guest DEC Alpha ("AXP") machines on the Internet
just now.

        [gw:i386] telnet axposf.pa.dec.com
        Trying 16.1.0.14...
        Connected to axposf.pa.dec.com.
        Escape character is '^]'.

        OSF/1 (axposf.pa.dec.com) (ttyp1)

        login: axpguest
        Password:
        Login incorrect
        login: Connection closed by foreign host.
        [gw:i386] date
        Wed Jul  7 02:00:08 PDT 1993

- --
Paul Vixie
                                     "Be neither a conformist or a rebel,
<paul () vix com>                        for they are really the same thing.
decwrl!vixie!paul                     Find your own path, and stay on it." (me)

------- End of Forwarded Message