Interesting People mailing list archives

[IUMA] Free distribution for musicians

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1993 05:09:58 -0500

Subject: [IUMA] Free distribution for musicians
Date: 15 Dec 1993 23:08:56 GMT

So, is there anyone out there in an unsigned band who has a demo tape of
their stuff?  If so, you can get free distribution over the Internet.
The Internet Underground Music Archive will digitize one song from your
demo (using MPEG compresison for FM radio quality), scan a picture,
and post all that along with a text file that you write, in which, you
can tell people about ordering your demo or joining your mailing list or
whatever you want.

We are not charging money, this is not a commercial venture.  We just
want to start up the idea of mass distribution while bypassing major
labels.  Many bands don't have commercial label appeal, but that doesn't
mean that they don't have an audience somewhere.

So far, we've been interviewed by Playboy (should be in the February
issue), and have interviews forthcoming from USA Today and possibly
hi-REZ.  Also, we are distributing music for Bedazzled Records and have
interest from two other _major_ indie labels.

All we need now is more indie bands.

For more info about it, mail:   ianc () sunsite unc edu

We'll send you our info sheet along with the FAQ (both of which you can
get by ftp from sunsite.unc.edu:pub/electronic-publications/IUMA/info).

Please ftp or gopher to sunsite.unc.edu and check out IUMA (in
pub/electronic-publications/IUMA).

Thanks a lot.

-jeffp

--
Jeff Patterson  -  mugly () cats ucsc edu    IUMA Info: ianc () sunsite unc edu
|   |    |   \     \  /  _  \       the net's first hi-fi music archive
|   |    |  /   |    \   |    \    The Internet Underground Music Archive
|___|______/____|__  /___|__  /    bands/music/labels/images/cyberdelicks
ftp sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/electronic-publications/IUMA               -[rP]-