Interesting People mailing list archives

ADSL

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1993 21:28:41 -0500

Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1993 14:14:58 -0800
To: farber () central cis upenn edu (David Farber)
From: rberger () internex net (Robert J. Berger)

Talked to a high up at Pac Bell the other day. He said that PacBell has no
plans for ADSL. They are going directly to Fiber to the Neighborhood. My
impression is that there was a religious war at Pac Bell about this. The
reactions I have gotten from some of the folks when I asked them about ADSL
was uncharacteristly strong.

The organization finally decided that ADSL was not worth detracting
resources from their Fiber implementation.

The scary thing was that the Pac Bell plan for fiber is not a data highway,
but a CATV plant! At least according to the person I talked to, it will be
500 channel delivery system with relatively little back channel capability.
They are blinded by the Video on Demand market (even though 500 channels is
not enough for that even).

The good news is that even though the announcement said that Coax would be
used from  neighborhood fiber link to the home, they may still end up doing
fiber to the home...

Bob

Robert J. Berger
InterNex Information Services, Inc.
1050 Chestnut Street Suite 202, Menlo Park, CA 94025
Voice: 415-473-3060 Fax: 415-473-3062
rberger () internex net