Interesting People mailing list archives

osi vs tcp/ip

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 08:10:02 -0500

From: Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk
Posted-Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 08:00:37 -0500
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 13:00:16 GMT
To: farber () central cis upenn edu
Subject: OSI v TCP

Dave:

I've just received an advertsing flyer from Computer Technology Research
Corp. of Charleston, SC, advertising a 215 dollar report on TCP/IP vs OSI.

It contains a bar chart on past and predicted sales of TCP/IP and OSI
software, whose figures surprised me, and I wondered what your IP group
thought of them. They are in billions of dollars, and reading them off the
chart they are approximately as follows:

Year  OSI   TCP/IP

1991  0.55  1.10
1992  0.90  1.45
1993  1.20  1.50
1994  1.70  1.65
1995  2.50  1.95
1996  3.50  2.00

This question is not because I am wondering whether we should fork our 215
dollars (no way :-), just out of curiosity as to how others react. I have
recently tended to treat OSI as a fading bad dream - am I due for a rude
awakening?

Cheers

Brian