Interesting People mailing list archives

amplification to post from fossoy

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1993 09:40:41 -0500

Posted-Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1993 09:34:55 -0500
From: cook () path net (Gordon Cook)
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1993 06:34:45 PST
To: farber () central cis upenn edu
Subject:  amplification to post from fossoy

I received this from Fossy earlier today and asked him to correct his
characterization of my meeting with NTT.  About 98% of it dealt with
the politics and policy of US internet commercialization.  It would have been
highly presumptuous of me to lecture NTT about their domestic internet scene.
think the emphasis Fossy understood may have been shaped by Dave Hughes own
definition of what he saw as my mission.  Hughes does spend time in Japanese
cyberspace on almost a daily basis.

Thanks to some balls that Dave Hughes started rolling I have had in the last 2
weeks a LOT of private exchanges with folk on all sides of this issue in Japan.
It seems clear that they will be faced in the near term with *significant*
problems in extending commercial internet servcice to Japanese business large
and small.  If they don't solve these problems *quickly* it could have
significant implications for their economic competitiveness.  But they
certainly
didn't need *ME* to tell them that.  What they did get from me was data on how
we are doing things here that they will use in their planning back home.
I'd appreciate it if you'd share this correction with your list.