Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: a comment re: Comparison of Salaries in Telecom Industry from telecom.

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1993 17:46:53 -0500

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 93 17:29:30 EDT
From: mtam () gradient cis upenn edu (Ivan Ming Chit Tam)
Posted-Date: Sun, 29 Aug 93 17:29:30 EDT
To: farber () central cis upenn edu
Subject: Re:  a comment re: Comparison of Salaries in Telecom Industry from
telecom.

Well, Yordon compared the Software industry with Detriot in earlier 80's.
US car industries did make it back albeit the environment is much more
competitive now than the 60s.

While I think improving qualities is certainly very very important,
it may not be necessary to compete directly. In a sense, I think that
developed countries have lead in advance technologies and that might be
a path to pursue, to develop new and useful (not useless ones)
technologies, to license them. This will hopefully keep these countries a
few years ahead all the time. These calls for two things, that one must not
simply give up good research even though global competition demands
focus on slim and efficient organization. Also education seems to be
very very important from now on. While I think it is hard and I don't know
how much job it can keep, it is much better to compete with one's strong
point.

Actually, this is a very difficult situation. I hope there is some
way out so that there will be harmony.

                                                       -Ivan