Interesting People mailing list archives

"Terminal Compromise" on the Net

From: A. Padgett Peterson <padgett () tccslr dnet mmc com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 93 10:06:17 -0400

Though commercial in nature, I find this an important announcement since the
novel is an excellent read about potential RISKS of widespread computer use
and possible terrorism attacks AND since it is available electronically
(ARCHIE found the 617K/560 page novel at knot.queensu.ca as
/wuarchive/doc/misc/termcomp.zip. More sites are probably available by now).
Note that the novel also predates (1991) "Rising Sun".

Padgett

                     !!!!POST EVERYWHERE!!!!
      THE WORLD'S FIRST NOVEL-ON-THE-NET (tm) SHAREWARE!!!
                       By Inter.Pact Press
                      "TERMINAL COMPROMISE"
                        by Winn Schwartau

     A high tech thriller that comes from today's headlines!

          "The Tom Clancy of computer security."
          Assoc. Prof. Dr. Karen Forcht, James Madison University

"Terminal Compromise" is a highly praised novel about the invasion of the
United States by computer terrorists.

Since it was first published in conventional print form, (ISBN: 0-962-87000-5)
it has sold extremely well world-wide, but then again, it never hit the New
York Times Bestseller List either.  But that's OK, not many do.

Recently, someone we know very well came up with a real bright idea.  They
suggested that INTER.PACT Press take the unprecedented, and maybe slightly
crazy, step to put "Terminal Compromise" on the Global Network thus creating a
new category for book publishers.  The idea is to offer "Terminal Compromise,"
and perhaps other titles at NOVEL-ON-THE-NET SHAREWARE(tm) rates to millions
of people who just don't spend a lot of time in bookstores.  After discussions
with dozens of people - maybe even - more than a hundred - we decided to do
just that.  We know that we're taking a chance, but we've been convinced by
hackers and phreakers and corporate types and government representatives that
putting "Terminal Compromise" on the net would be a fabulous step forward into
the Electronic Age, (Cyberspace if you will) and would encourage other
publishers to take advantage of electronic distribution.  (It's still in the
bookstores, though.)

NOVEL-ON-THE-NET SHAREWARE Fees For The People:

The suggested donation for individuals is $7.  If you hate Terminal Compromise
after reading it, then only send $6.50.  If you're really, really broke, then
tell a hundred other people how great it was, send us a rave review and post
it where you think others will enjoy reading it, too.  If you're only a little
broke, send a few dollars.  After all, this is how we stay in business.  With
each registration, we will also send a FREE! issue of "Security Insider
Report," a monthly security newsletter also published by Inter.Pact Press.

Please forward all NOVEL-ON-THE-NET SHAREWARE fees to:

     INTER.PACT PRESS
     11511 Pine St. N.
     Seminole, FL., 34642

Communications:

     Phn: 813-393-6600
     Fax: 813-393-6361
     E-Mail: p00506 () psi com
             wschwartau () mcimail com

  [Archie only reported TERMCOMP.ZIP at knot.queens.ca but the opening screen
  there recommends that outsiders use wuarchive.wustl.edu. I can verify that
  right now it is there as /doc/misc/termcomp.zip .  Padgett]