Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: [Pinguzilla] Weird Traffic

From: "Jonathan Adams" <keirre.adams () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 07:52:27 -0400

Leon,

  thx. Ill run the ntop when I get back home again. On the plus side,
the traffic is down today (I didnt get the automated threshold alert),
this happened the last time I added in FW rules, and by the next day I
had twice as much traffic as before I applied the new rules 1.3GB to
2.57 GB.

  There is nothing in the syslog except the usual stuff

  I did a find on the filesystem for files 5MB and over, came back
with nothing except a couple of log files and other expected stuff.

  I still believe that some of the proxy requests are getting through,
the great majority of the real traffic in my tcpdump was HTTP... but I
think the data may be useless because that data was captured on a day
when I wasn't getting flooded. Will have to wait to see if/when the
problem returns and run another tcpdump session. Problem is compounded
by the fact that the server doesnt have X, so I'll need to copy off
the tcpdump output somewhere to analyze it - wasn't a problem
yesterday because it was only a couple of dozen MB.

  I do need to run a rootkit detection tool on the box, it couldn't
hurt, Ill do that anyway, in the meantime I'll wait and see if the
traffic comes back up.

--J