Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Security log parser

From: Bob Toxen <vger () verysecurelinux com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:48:15 -0500

I find the Open Source Logcheck program to be the best.  (The only thing
that logwatch does that logcheck does not is to tell the number and
details of brute-force password guessing.)

Also, I've enhanced it to be even better by causing it to list any
given event only once in the highest-priority category that applies.
I've also enhanced it to accept a second set of emails that only get
the high-priority events, not "Unusual events".  (Anyone is welcome to
email me and I'll send the tarball of my enhanced version.)

Best regards,

Bob Toxen, CTO
Horizon Network Security
"Your expert in Spam and Virus Filters, Linux server hardening, Firewalls,
Network Monitoring, Linux System Administration, VPNs, local and remote
backup software, and Network Security consulting, in business for
18 years."

www.VerySecureLinux.com        [Network & Linux/Unix Security Consulting]
www.RealWorldLinuxSecurity.com [Our 5* book: "Real World Linux Security"]
bob () VerySecureLinux com (e-mail)

My article on "The Seven Deadly Sins of Linux Security" was
published in the May/June 2007 issue of ACM's QUEUE Magazine.