Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DoS attacks using ports 31800, 31900 ?

From: "Deapesh Misra" <deapesh () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 10:36:33 -0500

On 2/2/07, David Gillett <gillettdavid () fhda edu> wrote:
  A certain amount of the packets that arrive at our gateway
are blowback, remote hosts responding to traffic where an
address in our block was forged as the source.  These are
most often ICMP Port Unreachables generated by UDP Windows
Messenger spam, with SYN-ACKs from port 80 running a distant
second.

  Within the last 24-48 hours, I've noticed something new:
significant numbers of SYN-ACKs from port 31800, and a
smaller number from 31900, from less than a dozen addresses
scattered around the Internet.  None of those addresses has
yet resolved via rDNS.

<SNIP>

  IP Address    Port            Count

60.31.208.10    31800           3100
60.190.108.57   31800           3500
60.191.0.2              31800           26      late start
61.142.160.181  31800           4200
124.243.201.171 31800           3100
125.64.16.79    31800           4500

<SNIP>

David Gillett

It is interesting to note that all these IP addresses are located in
the same country -China.

If you look at the port report for port 31900 from ISC SANS, it shows
a peak in the same date range you saw this happen:
http://isc.sans.org/port.html?port=31900

-Deapesh Misra