Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Anyone have a reason for 2x the email flow today?

From: "Sven Meeus" <sven.meeus () keys be>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 14:46:26 +0100

Can you determine the nature of the increase? Is it just spam/junk?

I'm seeing a significant increase in my personal mail due to Spam/Junk
mail just within the last week.

We have a steady increase in mail since the beginning of October. The
difference between then and now is about 23% more spam/junk mails. There
are some days with high peaks, but I don't really worry about those
days. I would start worrying when the sudden increase stays, and doesn't
go down again.
I suppose it has to do with the holidays coming up. A part of the new
kind of spam/junk are mailings from locally based companies sending out
their holiday gift promotions and such.
I remember that last year, we had the same increase in mail, but once it
was January, it rapidly decreased again.

Regards,

Sven.