Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Port 1234 UDP traffic increase?

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 13:43:22 -0500

On Dec 14, 2007 12:05 PM, Bob Holowenko <holowenko () gmail com> wrote:
Personally I do not think we have to worry about traffic from doubleclick.
They were bought out by Google last spring I believe. As for traffic on port
1234 I have not seen any increase in it. I will however be setting up some
packet sniffing on my network edge to see if I can get more information
about what is being carried in those packet.

Anyone have any wireshark caps already?

OK, I figured this one out with a little help from wireshark and the
machines receiving the traffic. Apparently 1234/UDP is used for a
proprietary Video Streaming application.

I think what I will take away from this is that while the last time I
was watching this much traffic, viruses were noisy and big. Today, the
ones to worry about are DDoS (80,53, 433, 8080, etc) and quiet C&C
channels. I guess the days of massive floods related to
malware/viruses/worms are long gone.

Once again, sorry for the noise. I will try and do some more legwork
before hitting up the list :-)

-JP