Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Anybody recognize this Solaris compromise?

From: "Jamie Riden" <jamie.riden () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:50:41 +0100

Hi David,

Were you/they running telnetd as a service in February? See
http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/881872

On 13/04/07, David Gillett <gillettdavid () fhda edu> wrote:
  I've got a Solaris machine on my network that has acquired
an unauthorized behaviour of unknown origin.  Every night,
from 1:10:30am until 6:00:30am, it tries to establish outbound
telnet connections to addresses all over the Internet.
<snip>
  The machine is running the SIRSI library application; it's possible
that the vulnerability is associated with that and not generically with
Solaris.  We're not heavy Solaris users here, and so IT doesn't support
that machine -- I'm trying to help our SIRSI admin pin down what's going
on so they can determine how to identify and remove the culprit.

Reformat and re-install? It's the only way to be sure you've cleaned
it properly. Probably cheaper than a thorough forensic examination as
well.

cheers,
Jamie
--
Jamie Riden, CISSP / jamesr () europe com / jamie () honeynet org uk
UK Honeynet Project: http://www.ukhoneynet.org/