Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Malware/trojan attacks

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:49:34 -0700 (PDT)

James,

In this case I think you have mislabed a trojan with
a rootkit.

Just out of curiosity, what are you seeing that leads
you to say this?  I'm not sure that I see anything in
Richard's original email that suggests a rootkit at
this point.

You should determine (if possible) what rootkit has
infected the machine.
It sounds like a new variant or perhaps a new tool
altogether.

Again, what leads you to think this, if you don't mind
me asking?

I would suggest wiping the box and rebuilding it if
you cannot determine
exactly what is the culprit or any way to clean it.

Hhhmmm...if it is a rootkit, then perhaps
wiping/reinstalling may be the way to go, but I'd
suggest further investigation and a root cause
analysis first.  Even if Richard were to find out what
the malware is (looks like an IRCbot at this point),
without a root cause analysis (and subsequent actions
as a result), the system will likely be reinfected all
over again.

To answer your questions:

1.  No, I have not seen this in our nets.

2.  I answered this above.

3.  Probably not.  There is nothing law enforcement
can do unless there is a
substantial loss.  You are ultimately responsible
for what gets installed on
your machines regardless of the method of
installation.  Now, if you find
someone using data that you can prove could only
have been acquired by this
method, then you should discuss with your legal
department about your
options and what you will need to do to provide
proof of this infringment.

Cheers,

James Friesen, CIO
Lucretia Enterprises