Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: nmap reveals trinoo_master on router

From: "Dario Ciccarone (dciccaro)" <dciccaro () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 14:32:29 -0400

Hi there:

        It is always useful to attach the output of a "show tech" from
the router under test, and also the command line used while invoking
nmap :)

        I would recommend for you to go and read the nmap documentation
- specifically, the "Port scanning basics" section - available at
http://insecure.org/nmap/man/man-port-scanning-basics.html. And quoting
from said documentation:

filtered

    Nmap cannot determine whether the port is open because packet
filtering prevents its probes from reaching the port. The filtering
could be from a dedicated firewall device, router rules, or host-based
firewall software. These ports frustrate attackers because they provide
so little information. Sometimes they respond with ICMP error messages
such as type 3 code 13 (destination unreachable: communication
administratively prohibited), but filters that simply drop probes
without responding are far more common. This forces Nmap to retry
several times just in case the probe was dropped due to network
congestion rather than filtering. This slows down the scan dramatically.

        So what nmap is trying to tell you is that, when probing those
ports, it got either an ICMP unreachable or nothing at all - ie, instead
of getting a SYN+ACK (if the port was open) or a RST (if the port wasn't
listening - actuall, if no process was listening on that port)

        The reason for those ports showing up as 'filtered' is because
you have an ACL applied to the external, Internet facing interface on
the router - probably blocking those specific ports.

        You also talk about a PIX firewall behind the router - as we
don't know your setup, we have no idea if the router is forwarding all
traffic to the firewall, if the router is doing NAT/PAT, etc.

        Thanks,
        Dario