Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: strange http get requests in apache access logs

From: Christine Kronberg <seeker () shalla de>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:39:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Henry Troup wrote:
On 10/13/06, rowland onobrauche <rowland.onobrauche () legendplc com
Im getting logs such as

"GET
http://www.escorts-etc.com/cgi-bin/ftop100/rankem.cgi?id=gagvault
HTTP/1.0" 200 147 " http://www.gagvault.com/linkspage.html";
"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)"

In some of my httpd access logs, even though this type of site is
not existant on the server. Anyone seen this before??

Some mis-configured Apache servers will act as an open proxy; that appears to be what this request is. Given that it's logged as a 200 OK, I'd say that you have that!

  Careful. The "200" is an indicator, but nothing more. My servers
  answer the same way, but without acting as proxy. What they deliver
  is the top index.html. For any such attempt. And the servers are
  not specially tweaked.
  @orginal poster: What is the size of your top default page?

Since it looks like a hit counter - "rankem.cgi" - someone is using your bandwidth to pad their click rates.

  Might be. Although that rankem.cgi page was not there when the
  orginal mail came over incidents. It is available now, though.
  Another explanation might be that it is an attempt of referrer
  spamming - given the content of the site.

Better check your configurations!

  Better check the answers of the server first. ;-)

  Cheers,

  Christine Kronberg.