Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: \x HTTP requests

From: Neil Dickey <neil () geol niu edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 13:29:57 -0600 (CST)

"Maxime Ducharme" <mducharme () cybergeneration com> wrote:

I see these HTTP request and I'm looking for more information :
[ ... ]
x.x.x.3 - - [08/Nov/2006:05:06:21 -0500] "\x80|\x01\x03\x01" 200 8 "-" "-"

Would it be someone attempting to send https request on my port 80 ?

When I see things like that in my logs it's generally a buffer
overflow attack, or something like that, but the entry will be
a great deal longer.  What's really interesting to me about
your log excerpt is that your webserver successfully filled
the request, whatever it was -- that's what the " 200 " code
means.

Best regards,

Neil Dickey, Ph.D.
Research Associate/Sysop