Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Bot net? SPAM Bounces... - Follow-up

From: gregs () sloop net
Date: 5 Mar 2006 06:11:50 -0000

How interesting. Perhaps it's just coincidence, but immediately after posting this, the deluge, if you’d call it that,
stopped.

I’ve gotten a few late bounces from full mailboxes and down mail servers etc, but the active sending has stopped.

Either the bot-net got hosed, or someone was reading here and stopped it.

FYI: The spam, or whatever it was, was all Russian, going to virtually all .ru domains. Since I couldn’t read it, I was
hard pressed to find out where to start to combat it.

Anyway. Thanks all for the tips, and I’m just glad to be through it. (Next time I’ll post a lot quicker. If I’m lucky,
the hooligans are going to take note and get me off the hamster wheel!)

Cheers,
Greg