Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Strange mail with number in subject line and body

From: Jesse Gough <jgough () securityfocus com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 23:47:56 -0600

So, Jason Miller and I did some more digging and we have confirmed this is a new Tooso/Beagle variant released a few days ago. It appears to be retrieving lists of email addresses and spamming them, and if the spam attempt does not result in an SMTP error, it will save the address to a "known-good" list and eventually upload that to a remote location. The numbers in the subject and body are randomly selected from a small hardcoded list (2 choices for the subject, 5 for the body). Nothing to indicate the significance of the specific numbers chosen, however.

-JG