Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: suspicious firewall rules in WinXP firewall

From: Harry Hoffman <hhoffman () ip-solutions net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 08:51:02 -0400

Check the Settings for the browsers, perhaps they were forced to use a
proxy that was listening on the loopback?

Check your DNS settings with ipconfig /all as well.

Look at what is set to run at startup via the registry. Chances are that
the exe's will resides in C:\Windows\system32 and may look innocent.
Grab a list of the names and google to find out more info.

You could spend a lot more time looking through the system but all in
all you should assume that the machine needs to be wiped and reloaded.

Does the user *need* admin rights?

HTH,
Harry

--
Harry Hoffman
Integrated Portable Solutions, LLC

belka () att net wrote:
While setting a port for Symantec to query XP Pro workstations for virus updates, I noticed two machines that had
firewall rules (exceptions in WinXP firewall parlance) that were in unreadable charcaters, such as an asian font set
that couldn't be displayed. The rule name was in blocks or in other unreadable characters.  The user of these two
workstations is notorious for downloading asian TV shows over bit torrent, and visiting anime and other asian sites.

I deleted the two firewall rules (DOH! I should have just disabled them) and now IE and Mozilla browsers do not work
at all.  I can ping out of these two machines, and as long as I use an IP address, these machines can ping anywhere
in the Internet.  However, if any call to DNS is requires, either with a browser or ICMP, it fails.

Has anyone had a similar experience or seen this kind of behavior.  My fear is that one of the "special Korean
download programs" that this user admits installing has altered the browser or -- even worse - the XP TCP/IP stack
with hooks into a trojan or spyware product.  I tried disabling the firewall to allow all traffic in and out, but to
no effect.  No DNS functionality.  My packet traces are inconclusive and my IDS is not alerting on anything in or out
of these two work stations.

Any ideas?  At this point I know I am going to have to reload, but from a forensic stand point, I am curious if any
one else has seen this kind of beavior before.

Thanks.

Attend the Black Hat Briefings & Training USA, July 29-August 3 in Las Vegas.
World renowned security experts reveal tomorrow's threats today. Free of
vendor pitches, the Briefings are designed to be pragmatic regardless of your
security environment. Featuring 36 hands-on training courses and 10 conference
tracks, networking opportunities with over 2,500 delegates from 40+ nations.

http://www.blackhat.com