Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: WMF Threat OK , but no huge attack ... WHY ?

From: jim () openanswers co uk
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:03:33 -0000 (GMT)

Hi,

The WMF threat was and continues to be important.
But I’m curious to know why we didn’t observe any important attack on
Internet?

WMF was a perfect Zero-Day attack and a scenario like the blackout of
Internet was possible … but nothing … or no important attack!
No BOT virus deployed? No DOS worm attack? …

All hackers become white-hat?
Or they attacked and we didn’t see anything?

Any hypothese / explanation ?

Hi,
Most of the consequences arising from exploits of this particular bug
appear to have been the installation of malware. In fact it seems that
most web browser vulns lately have been used for this purpose. The aim of
the perpetrators may well be financial gain, from advertising revenues,
compromising personal information or leasing botnets for DoS attacks. The
culprits are far from being white hatted individuals.

I believe that the attacks that took place were important, but this bug
had big shoes to fill to live up to all the hype generated. There are no
doubt many more zombies on the net as a result of this issue.

Regards,
Jim Halfpenny