Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Decrease in Threats?

From: Aubs <Aubs () Aubs co uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 22:40:20 +0000

 think Message Labs also have this facility messagelabs.com

Regards,

Aubs

On 1/25/06, Rohny Jotton <rohnyjotton () hotmail com> wrote:
In the last 30 days, I have experienced a extraordinary decrease in email
threats being stopped at the edge and also being seen on our quarantine
server. My first thought was something got in and disabled our security
services, but upon investigation that is not the case. It looks like the
quantity has indeed dropped, and I am trying to confirm it (only virus's,
worms, etc.; not spam).

I've been trying to find any trending of threats seen worldwide, and the
only one I have found is at f-secure. The chart seems to support what I'm
seeing but I'm curious if others are seeing a decrease also. If indeed the
threats are dropping off, is it due to the efforts undertaken to mitigate
the WMF flaw?

Also if anyone knows of other sites that show historic trends, I'd
appreciate being given the link. I see most antivirus sites will only give
percentage breakdowns and not quantities seen.

Thanks You