Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ICMP Type:8 Code:137

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:56:58 -0400

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:18:27 +0200, "Allan Kjeldbjerg (Acom Internet ApS)" said:
Hi _mutiger_jh,

Yes I have notice the increase of the same packets. They could be spoofed
but the one I currently
notice originate from China and is distributed via ISP's in New York.

Concurrently with these packets we expirence non terminating TCP connections
on our Windows platform.
 - Could there be a connection between the two? Anyone noticed the same
pattern?

Out of curiosity, are these fragged packets?  I'm wondering if the first frag
is getting lost and something's misinterpreting a 2nd or following frag - remember
that the *real* TCP/UPD/ICMP header is only in the first frag.  So if your
monitoring tool looks at a subsequent frag, it could be minsinterpreting the
payload as header (similar to the tool that misinterpreted an ICMP as UDP and got
a port number instead of a ICMP type/code).