Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Who is looking for port 2036?

From: mis () seiden com
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:51:42 -0700

might be someone looking for a no password remote login vulnerability
in novell bordermanager, as described at:
http://craigjconsulting.com/bmgrptch.html

"Jan 11, 2003 - I added a note for some bugs below this section. I
also wanted to finally tell people what the NW6RCONJ2A.EXE patch was
all about. I had avoided telling about the bug until now to give
people enough time to go about patching their servers before making it
obvious what the bug was about. However, I keep getting new clients
who have read my patch list here and just skipped that patch because
they didn't think it was applicable to them. They are quite surprised
when I connect to their BorderManager server over the Internet using
RCONAG6 without a password! The version of RCONAG6 shipped with
NW6SP2.EXE included a flawed version of RCONAG6. The bad version does
not look at the password entry for the 'secure' (encrypted) port (2036
by default). Consequently, you can connect to a server without a
password if that version of RCONAG6 is loaded, and the usual Novell
default filter exceptions are in place. The NW6RCONJ2A patch fixes
this problem."