Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SSH bruteforce on its way...

From: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino <jfernandez () germinus com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:17:04 +0200

Michael.Lang () jackal-net at wrote:

Hi Volker,

ive started a honey Machine for your answer on, what are they doing with captured machines ...

I would also be interesting to list what _accounts_ they probe for. I have a list of users/passwords recovered from some compromised systems and I'm working on a trojaned version of OpenSSH that would log that info regardless of authentication method. There are some patches to add backdoors to OpenSSH (at http://packetstorm.linuxsecurity.com/UNIX/patches/ for example) that you can use to log those. Just remove the password backdoor from those and you have a good user/password logger.

Regards

Javier