Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Dismantling Botnets?

From: Bryan Allen <bda () mirrorshades net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:42:19 -0400

On Oct 18, 2005, at 10:58 PM, steven () lovebug org wrote:

Is there a place where current information can be given and it will truly be investigated and action will be taken? For example, in the past few days I have come across multiple botnets of 30,000-50,000 on each server. In one case I even suspect that the hosting provider might be facilitating the activity. For that reason alone I have avoided reporting this to the hosting provider. Is there a government source that actually takes the information, investigates it, and will actually make something happen? I think many of us have read the DDoS story on GRC.com before. This guy was actively being attacked and located the live botnet and still couldn't get the authorities to do anything (IIRC). Has anything changed since then?

If you are a university, there is UNISOG (unisog.org), which is a closed group of infosec people working at depts all over the world and sharing information.

As for corporations, not sure. The problem with that is once you start handing that information out, it's also there for the C&C owners to use. "Oh, that one's been discovered and is being blocked by lots of people, time to pop another box and shift controllers."

As for companies that are actually hosting botnets... the BBB? ;-)
--
Bryan Allen
bda () mirrorshades net