Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Pubstro rash

From: "David LeBlanc" <dleblanc () exchange microsoft com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:31:24 -0800

That would be a good guess. XP was the first version where blank
passwords can only be used at the console.

BOFH mode = ON
I think that if the network admin can guess the password on a system
that it deserves to get a new, very random 15-character (Win2k and up,
14 on NT 4.0) password, and if that inconveniences the user then they
need to learn to use decent passwords, and you should set up a system
whereby you can give them the new password out of band and the system
should be suitably inconvenient such that they won't want to use it
again.