Security Incidents mailing list archives

DoS attack... what to do?

From: Nigel Kukard <nkukard () lbsd net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:41:19 +0000

Hi Guys,

Here is the situation...

I have a dedicated server at ISP X, about 1 week after I signed up for the service I received a DoS attack against my DNS service... the attack came from over 10,000 IP addresses and tried to resolve the following domain names...

leet.nexhost.org
ns1.nexhost.org
ns2.nexhost.org
floop.m33pm33p.info
irc.k1hosting.net
b0tn3t.elite-coders.org

I thought i would be clever and changed root.cache on my named service to resolve all dns queries to 127.0.0.1, this seems to of worked for about 1hr. Next I get even more attacks on port 5556 which I don't even use and basically by default drop everything to that port.

I have sent off abuse reports for over 10,000 IP's, grouping them by ISP and sending 1 email per ISP.....

What to do? I've got a constant 200Kbps of traffic, and its kinda bugging me...

Any help would greatly be appreciated.  (btw, netsky.V uses port 5556)

Regards
Nigel Kukard