Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SSH probe attack afoot?

From: Martin Sarsale <martin.sarsale () tnsweb com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:42:32 -0300

Everytime I got one of those scans Im courious about what are those clients (bots or hax0rs) using as passwords.

Does it makes any sense to log the password they're using apart of satisfying my couriosity? And: does ssh provides this kind of functionality? (I know it could be a security breach in case you type your root password in uppercase and it ends on your logs)

Bernie Cosell wrote:
We're now getting hammered with the third round of ssh probes in the last four days [one from CA, one from Brazil and one from Virginia]. I was wondering: is there some virus or the like floating around now that leaves an ssh-hammering zombie in its wake? Or is it just coincidental that we have gotten three floods?

[the probes are just dozens of random-seeming login attempts with a bunch of root-password-guesses interspersed]

  /Bernie\