Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Re: hacked server, DDoS bin installed -- To put it another way...

From: static () xstatica com
Date: 12 Dec 2005 18:00:52 -0000

I alerted the FBI a few years ago when I found an IRC botnet the same way you did.  I talked to an FBI agent at the
time and he took all the info.  Amazingly the irc operators for the irc network couldn't care less and basically went
off saying I should not have got infected in the first place(which I didn't).  It sure seemed like they were all 10
year olds in the admin channel for the irc network.  The irc channel was shutdown after a month or so but I don't know
if that was just because the botnet moved to another channel or if the FBI did something.