Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: hacked server, DDoS bin installed -- To put it another way...

From: Rembrandt <rembrandt () jpberlin de>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:45:57 +0100

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 11:32:32 -0600
Ron <iago () valhallalegends com> wrote:

A similar question: let's say you stumble upon a DDoS net.  Say, a
friend leads you there, or you find a server that has 1000 random names
logged in.  Is it possible to report the server, even though you haven't
been infected, and if so, how?

Nobody will shutdown IRC-Networks... ;-)))

Btw: I'm from Europe and here we can report crimes even we're not
involved...

BUT

a) Do you think they'll care? 1000 Bots are nothing today...
b) Do you think they'll care for computers from foreign countries?
c) Do you think it will "help" somebody?

Fighting Bot-Networks is the fight against human idioty...
And that's a fight you'll loose. :-)

And if a friend provided you this information for any reason you maybe
wont report it anyway.... ;-)

Kind regards,
Rembrandt
--