Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Proper ISP Reporting

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:57:24 -0400

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:20:50 CDT, Leif Ericksen said:
On top of all that have patience.  I work for a large ISP and there is
sometimes is a bureaucratic channel that must be followed that can delay
the response time that you are going to get.

Also, note that sometimes, the abuse desk can't give you any really specific
reply - for many .EDUs, for example, FERPA considerations prohibiting the
disclosure of student information end up meaning that we often can't feed back
anything more detailed than "We received your report, and the miscreant will
be handled as per our procedures"...