Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: New Virus?

From: "Ragnar Harper" <ragnar () harper no>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:35:44 +0200

I find http://sandbox.norman.no/live.html very useful for determining
unknown files. It gives you quite nice information about it.

Here is an example of output you will get with this:

Report created: 15.08.2005 23:38:35

Automatic Sandbox analysis of unknown malware (W32/Downloader)
[ General information ]
* Creating several executable files on hard-drive.
* File length: 38982 bytes.

[ Changes to filesystem ]
* Deletes file autorun.inf.
* Creates file C:\WINDOWS\System\CSRSS.EXE.
* Creates file C:\TEMP\upd_0001.exe.

[ Changes to registry ]
* Creates value ".svchost"="C:\WINDOWS\System\CSRSS.EXE" in key
"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run".

[ Network services ]
* Opens URL: http://medabop.com/u/upd_0001.exe.

[ Security issues ]
* Starting downloaded file - potential security problem.

[ Process/window information ]
* Creates a mutex 3676C64A-W454-122E-BFC6-083C2BF4S551.
* Will automatically restart after boot (I'll be back...).

Best regards,

Ragnar Harper