Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Disassembling botnets

From: "P.B. Wagenaar" <PB.Wagenaar () chello nl>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:16:11 +0200

Hi Commander Z!

Well it isn't your job to disable the botnet and close down irc servers. All
you can do is inform the ISP and report this all to the police. You are
right if you say that all this won't do you any good.

If you want to see some 'action', you should start a civil case against the
ISP hosting the IRC network. It might sound wrong, but this will wake the
ISP up and they will take the matter very seriously. Ofcourse you don't want
to make the ISP pay for what some hacker did, but this might make them go
after the hacker behind the botnet.

Send them a bill for your damages and wait for their response.

Philip Wagenaar