Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Spider with improbable IP address

From: k levinson <levinson_k () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:29:27 -0700 (PDT)

It could be either.  .0 can be a valid IP address.
Not every subnet out there is an even /24 class C
subnet starting and ending at .0 and .255

Spoofing an invalid source IP address in successful
TCP sessions is problematic.  You're right that the
fact that you're getting HTTP requests in your web
log, presumably following a successful TCP handshake,
suggests that this may not be spoofing.

The usual IP lookup tools such as whois and nslookup
should be able to help you confirm whether this IP is
a valid spider host.

- karl levinson