Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: 1,800 files missing from system32

From: "Scott Fuhriman" <sfuhriman () networkarmor com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:30:26 -0500

Since you have described this as a recurring issue, it seems that it
would be appropriate to install some monitoring utilities used in
malicious code analysis.  This would include tools like inCTRL, Regmon,
Filemon, TCPView, fport, System Snapshot and others that can assist you
in logging what is happening with your system and catch the activity as
it happens.

If the issue that you are seeing is being caused by malicious code,
these tools are a great way to assist you in identifying the malicious
activity and tracking down the source. Knowing and monitoring what
processes are running, what changes are happening to the registry, what
ports are opened, what applications are launching processes and ports is
all important info you will need if you want to know what is going on
and more importantly how to stop the incident from reoccurring.

This does require access to the box, however, if you were to have some
or all of these utilities (especially Regmon and Filemon) installed,
running and logging you would be able to collect more specifics.  The
key though is that you have a system activity baseline to compare
against and familiarity of what is normal activity to allow you to
analyze the results of the incident when it occurs.

Hope this gives you an idea to assist in mitigating this issue.

Scott Fuhriman, CISSP, MCSE
Sr. Security Analyst
Integrated Computer Solutions, Inc. - NetworkArmor Division
www.networkarmor.com