Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Odd addresses on my wireless network

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:39:36 -0500

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:25:06 CST, Ron said:
Windows computers, and some routers, have an obsession with sending
traffic to "239.255.255.253" for something to do with upnp
connectivity.

Yes, that's the address that the plug-and-play firewall stuff uses, for
the benefit of malware that just finished doing a 'Shields DOWN!' for the
local host firewall and A/V functionality, and now needs to do the same
for the firewall appliance that's stopping its attempts at world domination. ;)

(Am I the only person who thinks that the *very last* feature you want in a
firewall is plug-and-play configuration support? ;)