Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: is this a recon, or just some browser weirdness?

From: "Robert Moss" <Robert.Moss () psinet telstra co uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:51:34 -0000

Hi,
   The HEAD requests may be due to a caching proxy server checking
datestamps to see if the copy it holds locally is still fresh.  I
wouldn't be surprised if they are using a caching proxy server.  I'm not
sure if FireFox's own caching does the HEAD requests too, maybe someone
else can jump in?

ru-RU is Russian Language, in the same way that en-US or en-UK is the
English language (American or UK versions)

The GET requests on /index.html and /  may be due to the webpage they
are accessing having links as such

The requests to reportspec.php and reportspec.php_files are when someone
using IE or FireFox/Mozilla doing a 'Save Page As' as a Full page
(inclusive of gif/jpg/html/css/js etc files), that's why you are seeing
those requests.  You can try it yourself..

Hope that helps you!
Rob Moss