Security Incidents mailing list archives

Vulnerability Scan 200.127.113.193, 69.93.128.17

From: Kirby Angell <kangell () alertra com>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 00:50:39 -0600

(parts of report redacted for confidentiality reasons)

Start Of Attack:        20041101 17:11:47
End Of Attack:          20041101 18:16:14

Attacking IPs:          200.127.113.193/Windows/Brazil (A1)
                        69.93.128.17/Linux/US (A2)

Destination IPs:        XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (V1)

Type of Attack: HTTP URL based mostly on port 80 and 443; some odd
traffic 995 (POPs), 25 (SMTP)

Summary
- --------------------

Two attackers initiated a mass vulnerability scan.  Since the scans
overlapped and targeted the same ports (80 and 443) using the same sort
of attacks, both are assumed to be under the direction of the same blackhat.

Only one attempt generated a positve response.  GET requests on port 80
of V1 for URI "/manual/" returns the Apache docs.  There must be some
possible vulnerability here or the scanner wouldn't have scanned for it.
~ Since we don't need the Apache docs on the production server the
directory has been removed.

Narrative:
- --------------------
This attack was foreshadowed by a recon probe by A1 on 2004/20/29.  In
that probe, the computer was operated by an individual as he traversed
our website.  He came to our site via a link from one of our customers.
~ Over the course of an hour and 15 minutes, A1 looked over the site and
tested some of the publicly available features.  He then attempted a
couple of bogus URLs (?/images/? and ?/admin.php?) and left.

A1 returns on 2004/11/01 at 17:11 and begins manually poking around for
the next 4 minutes.  This time he tries ?/admin/? which also doesn't
work.  A bit more poking around and then we get the opening salvo of
what is almost certainly a vulnerability scanner; possibly SSS
(http://www.safety-lab.com/en/products/1.htm).

A1 then begins testing particular services.

SNMP gets several hits with various community strings.  The source port
is always 3656 and each request is tried twice.  None of our community
strings matched as V1's router community strings are not left at the
defaults.

A1 connects to SMTP port 25 and says ?helo sss?.  Tries ?vrfy?, ?expn?,
?rcpt to:? using ?root?, ?Administrator? and ?admin?.  All commands were
rejected by V1 mail server.  Sets recipient and from to "sssx () example com."

A1 then begins trying 904 URLs on ports 80 and 443.  When connecting to
443, A1 makes no attempt to initiate an SSL connection.  V1 web server
rejected all port 443 requests because they were not SSL encapsulated.
V1 web server rejected all but 2 port 80 requests for a wide variety of
reasons.  The two accepted requests were actually duplicates:  "GET
/manual/? which returned the main page for the Apache manual.

While A1 is sending HTTP and HTTPS requests, A2 starts sending its own
requests.  A2 connects exclusively to port 80, but sends a whopping
2,316 requests versus A1's 904.  Since both A1 and A2 attacks were
overlapping and of a similar nature, I believe they were launched by the
same person.

The URIs requested are all over the place as far as target environment.
~ Some directed at Apache, some at IIS, Linux, Windows, others for more
obscure web servers and even some embedded devices.  It appears that V1
was not vulnerable to any of the URIs since all but ?/manual/? were
rejected.  The wide variety of target environments and sheer number of
attack vectors lends more credibility to this being a large scale
vulnerability scanner.

Analysis:
- --------------------

This scan was very noisy, resulting in the web server log files being
filled with tell-tale signs.  Here are two possibilities on the nature
of the blackhat:

a)  script-kiddie low on skills just looking to see if V1 is an easy target.
b)  higher-level blackhat doing a vulnerability scan using throw away
IPs while considering a future attack.

(a) is probably the likely choice, due to the sheer numbers of
script-kiddies vs. higher-level crackers.  However, this scan involved
multiple IPs, on in Brazil and one in the U.S. with two different
attacking platforms, Windows and Linux.

We have shunned A1 and A2 from our network, which is a likely result
from a non-soft target with such a noisy scan.  If (b) is true, then the
attacker must have known the scan would be easily noticed and therefore
used IPs he didn't plan on using again on this target network.  If true,
this attacker may come back with an alternate plan.  Or possibly he
expected to be able to use one of the exploits quickly before we noticed
and cleanup the logs before we saw them.

(rest of report deleted for confidentiality reasons)

If anyone has any comments I would appreciate hearing them.  I'd really
like to come up with some way to "watch" for traffic from paticular IPs.
~   In this case, we saw the initial poking around by the bad guy in late
October and realized he might be back.

- --
Thank you,

Kirby Angell
Get notified anytime your website goes down!
http://www.alertra.com
key: 9004F4C0
fingerprint: DD7E E88D 7F50 2A1E 229D  836A DB5B A751 9004 F4C0