Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: wmon16 follow-up

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 18:02:18 -0700 (PDT)

Jason,

One last question...how do you know that it's a virus,
and not a worm or Trojan?

--- Jason High <strongcypher () hotmail com> wrote:
Thanks to everyone for their advice and help.  The
virus was pretty
un-sophisticated as far as I can tell.  It created
C:\winnt\system32\wmon16.exe and added registry
entries in Run and Run >
OptionalComponents to start itself when the computer
starts.  I simply
killed it with Sysinternal's pskill, deleted the
registry entries, patched
the computers and updated the A/V.  It seems to be
gone now, but I'll
watching closely.

I submitted copies of the executable to various A/V
vendors and many
requestors on this list.  If you asked for a copy
and didn't get one, or
would like to look at, please let me know.  I had a
lot going on and may
have missed some people.  Thanks again.

Jason E. High,RHCT,GSEC,MCP
http://www.alwaysright.org

Getting married? Find tips, tools and the latest
trends at MSN Life Events.
http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=married