Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: NKADM rootkit - Something new?

From: "Don Wolf" <don.wolf () ssisc com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 07:02:16 -0400

" Linux distros are... useless on Windows systems for gathering volatile
data"

Harlan, you're absolutely right.  Anyone with enough forensic, IR or even
data recovery experience knows maintaining state is critical.  If you change
the state (e.g. reboot) than you've effectively lost any chance of
recovering meaningful information.  This more so in the context or tracking
hacks than recovering client data.

An option - Virtual sessions of Linux (Knoppix, Insert, etc) may be possible
on a Windows platform.  Without any extensive knowledge of those bootable CD
OSes, I cannot say that it would work, but it would certainly be of more use
in forensic data recovery or incident response on Windows platforms.

The approach of using a handful of tried and true tools is arguably the most
logical and productive method.  If having all the tools on-hand in a nice
neat package is a concern (seems to be in this thread), burn them all to CD
and create some non-intrusive scripts to run them.  I've consolidated a
number of tools in my time that I've put to CD's and flash.  Furthermore
I've been working for the last few months to determine what method of
running these tools would yield the best results with the least impact.
This has led to a number of both complex scripts and rudimentary scripts.

I suggest all those interested look at what the experienced guys are using
and put together your own kit.  Don't risk destroying the data at hand
because someone put a "convenient" CD together.

Don