Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Possible break in

From: Chris Albert <albert () dms umontreal ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:07:32 -0500

Alexandros Kyriakides wrote:

I am wondering if anyone can give me some help with this incident. The
only related thing I found on-line was this:

http://www.taclug.org/pipermail/taclug-general/2003-July/007821.html

The box I have is running linux mandrake 8.0. What I have found until now
is the following:

1) Two new binary files:

/usr/bin/dbproc
/usr/bin/gnorp

gnorp just runs dbproc, which looks like it is part of a rootkit for hiding processes. Running strings on that will show the location of other files (tabbed out). Some of the text is in Roumanian:

<snip strings output>
Can't open a tty, all in use ?
Can't fork subshell, there is no way...
HOME=/usr/include/rpms
HISTFILE=/dev/null
SHELL=/bin/bash
TERM=linux
pqrstuvwxyzabcde
0123456789abcdef
/dev/ptmx
/dev/pty
/dev/tty
/dev/null
/bin/sh
Can't execve shell!
Start...
FUCK: (%d)
Pid=%d
                                                   /usr/include/rpms/.rc
Folosire:
%s <uivfp> [args]
u       - Uninstall
i       - Pid invizibil
v       - Pid vizibil
f [0/1] - Fisiere ascunse
p [0/1] - Piduri ascunse
Nu am reusit sa il dezinstalez (%d)
Nu am reusit sa ascund pidul %d (%d)
Nu am reusit sa arat pidul %d (%d)
Failed to change %s hiding (%d)!
Versiune: %s
Dezinstalat
Pidul %d e ascuns
Pidul %d e vizibil
file
%s hiding is now %s!
__kmalloc
/dev/kmem
RK_Init: idt=0x%08x,
sct[]=0x%08x,
FUCK: Can't find kmalloc()!
kmalloc()=0x%08x, gfp=0x%x
FUCK: Out of kernel memory!
Done, %d bytes, base=0x%08x
FUCK: Can't open %s for read/write (%d)
FUCK: IDT table read failed (offset 0x%08x)
FUCK: Can't find sys_call_table[]
FUCK: Can't read syscall %d addr
Z_Init: Allocating kernel-code memory...
core
/sbin/initrpms
Fuck mai e o gasca pe aici %d
0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
<NULL>
/dev/null
1.3b
rpms
/usr/include/rpms/zero.so
/proc/
/proc/net/
socket:[
/sbin/init
/sbin/initrpms
login
telnet
rlogin
rexec
passwd
adduser
mysql
ssword:

</snip>

Chris

Free 30-day trial: firewall with virus/spam protection, URL filtering, VPN,
wireless security

Protect your network against hackers, viruses, spam and other risks with Astaro
Security Linux, the comprehensive security solution that combines six
applications in one software solution for ease of use and lower total cost of
ownership.

Download your free trial at http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Astaro_incidents_040301