Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Phatbox: Media Hype? Scare Tactics?

From: Joe Stewart <jstewart () lurhq com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:28:20 -0500

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 12:08 pm, Dante Mercurio wrote:
http://isc.incidents.org/diary.html?date=2004-03-11

Reports about 5000 infections on the 11th.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1804&ncid=1804&e=3&u=
/wa shpost/20040317/tc_washpost/a444_2004mar17

Claims hundreds of thousands of systems are infected.

Is this hype or is this really spreading? Smells like hype to me
because SARC reports nothing described as Phatbox and turns up
nothing in the Symantec virus/backdoor database.

Try searching for Phatbot with a "t".

I have heard reports that lead me to believe the current number of
infections may indeed be in the low hundreds of thousands. The question
I would pose is; are those hundreds of thousands infected hosts
actually part of the botnet at any given time? The WASTE P2P protocol
the botnet uses is not built for large numbers of peers. I did connect
to some of the clients and examine the traffic passing through the node
and found about 1000 unique nicknames in about an hour or so. So, even
though total infections may be high, the actual number of bots
available to the owner at any one time is still in question in my mind.

My analysis of Phatbot is here: http://www.lurhq.com/phatbot.html

-Joe

--
Joe Stewart, GCIH
Senior Security Researcher

Free 30-day trial: firewall with virus/spam protection, URL filtering, VPN,
wireless security

Protect your network against hackers, viruses, spam and other risks with Astaro
Security Linux, the comprehensive security solution that combines six
applications in one software solution for ease of use and lower total cost of
ownership.

Download your free trial at
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Astaro_incidents_040301