Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Releasing patches is bad for security

From: "James P. Saveker" <james () wetgoat net>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 19:17:04 -0000

My word, you are brave Tim.  I said something similar on Full Disclosure and
got quite a telling off.

I have to fully support your comments and also make another point.

The new patch model for longhorn will not require reboots.  They are
investing a great deal of money in security now as before they had valued
functionality over security.

Current patches are getting smaller as with large enterprises bandwidth can
be at a premium.

For large business they offer SMS as a great tool for patch deployment,
including being aware of remote users and making use of the "bits"
technology.  For smaller business they offer SUS for FREE!!

I am not saying that MS have always got it right in the past, quite frankly
they have not.  Things are changing with MS, time will tell.

James Saveker
www.wetgoat.net

"The only thing which helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the
friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes..."