Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: NKADM rootkit - Something new?

From: "Dave Paris" <dparis () w3works com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 10:49:45 -0400

Definitely not a stupid question.  Most forensic toolkits are created from
statically-compiled executables, created on a known-safe system and then
loaded from CD or other removable media.  This prevents a) any interaction
with potentially tainted libraries and b) a known/provably[1]-safe version
of the executable.  Also, you'd ideally be working on a block-for-block copy
of the original file system - or in a worse case, the actual filesystem,
mounted in a read-only manner.

Kind Regards,
-dsp

[1] - with the realm that *anything* can be "proven" safe to one degree or
another.