Security Incidents mailing list archives

IE/WMP Exploit

From: "Carlos Kramer" <csk_1975 () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 00:19:49 +0000

I saw the 180solutions.com analysis and the stuff I've seen appears to be
different and use a different exploit - maybe just a variation on a theme?
But it overwrites wmplayer.exe and seems to use a WMP exploit as well as
IE exploits.

It comprimises a fully patched Windows 2000, IE6, WMP7 machine.

FWIW attached is some information and a copy of the file which replaced
Windows Media Player. Unfortunately I couldn't capture the actual exploit
code but I'm sure its available to those who wish to dig.

The URL which linked to the exploit was at:-

http://www.celebritysearchengine.co.uk/fantasy/e/ellemc.htm

This popped up six windows which installed both the default-homepage-network
hijacker and also some nasty stuff from www.news-depot.com. www.news-depot.com is bogus and moves quickly - when I got the executable it was on a compromised unused parked server at a large hosting company. It is currently resolving to
ip13-43-171-209.toro1.na.psigh.com - 209.171.43.13.

These URLs were used to do the compromise:-

http://207.44.156.26/~admin3/ron/ron.php?
http:///
http://207.44.156.26/~admin3/ron/adsredir.php?
http://207.44.156.26/~admin3/ron/adsredir.php?
http://www.news-depot.com/
http://www.news-depot.com//main.chm
http://www.news-depot.com/msits.exe

This crashed Windows Media Player and then it was overwritten with a small
windows executable (I have it if you want it) - this was called wmplayer.exe
and was in the Windows Media Player folder. The real Windows Media Player
had been deleted.

Windows Media Player showed this error:-

Invalid name: mmsu:///. The file name specified is incorrect. (Error=C00D001C) Invalid name: http:///. The file name specified is incorrect. (Error=C00D002B) Cannot open. Please verify that the path and filename are correct and try again. (Error=C00D002B)

The next time a WMP media file was accessed the new wmplayer.exe file ran
and installed lots of adware, junkware, spyware etc, etc. BetterInternet,
ClockSync, Internet Speed Check, and much more...

Anyway attached is a decription of the various windows which popped up and
their contents. I don't know if this is of interest to anyone or even the
correct forum - but hopefully its of use.  (I put them in an attachment as
they have scripts and HTML which email clients may try to render).

Looking to buy a house? Get informed with the Home Buying Guide from MSN House & Home. http://coldwellbanker.msn.com/

Free 30-day trial: firewall with virus/spam protection, URL filtering, VPN,
wireless security

Protect your network against hackers, viruses, spam and other risks with Astaro
Security Linux, the comprehensive security solution that combines six
applications in one software solution for ease of use and lower total cost of
ownership.

Download your free trial at
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Astaro_incidents_040614