Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SSH attacks?

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:26:23 -0500

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 05:12, Christine Kronberg wrote:
  Because I'm not alone in my host. It serves a couple of friends as well.
  Worry is only a part of the story - I'm awfully curious. I want to know
  what these people are doing but I don't want my node to be compromised.
  As a matter of fact I find it very instructive to see what people are
  trying to accomplish. Sometimes I can use this knowledge to help other
  people. I don't want to miss that.

You can always run a honeypot or a fake SSH daemon (preferable in a
jail) on port 22, but run "the real" daemon on a non-standard port. That
allows you to "keep an eye on all things SSH" while at the same time not
subjecting your host to the easy scanners and script kiddies.

Regards,
Frank